Tuesday 30 August 2011

Unpack, wander aimlessly and get caught in the haven...

After being met at the airport by a woman called Mette we then drove to the apartment where I would be staying with a lady called Blanca.  Mette commented that I was travelling light, most American students she had picked up had at least two cases for the month long stint.  I was in Barcelona to complete my TEFL certificate and soak up the espana way of life.  Having just finished my final year at University and always having a panging desire to see the world, the certification seemed like the perfect route to fuse career and travel opportunities.  Blanca greeted me warmly as she opened the door, I debuted some of my limited Spanish lingo and she showed me to my room.  As I unpacked my compact case and took in my surroundings I heard Blanca shout "I am going out for the afternoon, I will see you later".  Suddenly it dawned on me that I was actually here alone with no social crutch to depend on.  I decided to venture out to explore the barrio with the sun shining on the leaf shaded streets.  With each paved flag I invested hope that it would guide me the right way.  I had nothing to landmark as it was all new to me, in a daze I found myself at Rocafort Metro station and somehow managed to end up on the road heading towards Plaza Catalunya.  Unknowing to the fact that the city was in the throng of celebration for gay pride festival I wondered wether metal studded leather briefs was standard afternoon garb.  I took refuge in nearby Starbucks, clinging to familiar comforts.  As I gazed out of the window I met eyes with a girl smoking a cigar and then suddenly a man burst in asking for water.



I pressed on in my search for the main hub of action. I could sense that I was close as the energy lured me to the crowds of locals and tourists spattering the streets neighbouring the famous Las Ramblas.  I decided to hop on a tour bus to take in the cities sprawling attractions.  The tour guide Luis seemed very friendly and eager to highlight the main delights of the city, we chatted and he asked if I wanted to go and get some food together.  In the spirit of meeting new people and taking every opportunity to see the city from a local slant I joined Luis.  We sat on his roof terrace, shared red wine and bread.  The jutting skyline and patch worked rooftops framed by the setting sun.  I left and set off on the second half of the city tour, the evening chill began to set in as i shrouded my bare shoulders with a beach towel I had packed just in case. 



My intrigue had begun to fade like the blazing sun and I was ready to rest my head in my temporary bed.  I got off the bus where we had started yet nothing looked familiar.  I used my broken Spanish to ask for directions and was told to take the metro.  My pockets were empty of coins and notes and I continued on a path of intuition.  I finally made it to Calle Calabria yet I couldn't find the right apartment. I wandered up and down as car headlights flashed brightly only to quickly fade.  I tried my key in so many locks yet the key failed to turn.  Time passed and confusion lingered.  Eventually I found my to my new home and Blanca was glad to see I had returned.  "Just got a little bit lost on my way back", we laughed and joked and I felt happy to be so comfortable in an abode so new. 


No comments:

Post a Comment