Saturday 1 October 2011

Moscow by night...

Friday finally arrived and I hurried back to my my apartment to slick on some lippy and change into something a little more city slicking chic :)  Driving into the city, leaving the shady canopy of the forest behind I had that Friday feeling.  I was excited about seeing Moscow after the days light had departed and the illuminating lights were shining bright. 


After hopping out a Gum shopping centre next to Red Square I had a random encounter with some men from Monte Negro, after a friendly exchange I set off to meet Jessie outside the Lenin Central Library.  Unknowing to the underpass in the Metro I attempted to cross the road which is a main artery into the city.  Trying to fathom how I was going to make it to the other side in one piece I soon realised that I was the only person trying to make a dart in front of six lanes of turbo engines. 

I went under through the metro walkway and then stopped to ask for directions to the Library.  I admit that my expectations of Russian friendliness were incredibly stereotyped and a stark contrast to the reality. I approached three girls and before I could begin to speak one hugged me and gave me a bunch of flowers.  I explained that I was English and she tried to recall the word that she was searching for, pausing with a broad smile.  "Present, for you" she said and the three girls wanted to take photographs and they introduced themselves.  Anne commented that I have nice teeth (the family nashers always seem to prompt some comment!) while Natalie insisted that I have some of her beer. 

After taking photographs and our giggle ridden exchange Deena showed me where I needed to go to meet Jessie and told me that she was a doctor and a dance teacher.  She told me that she loves to help people and being a doctor allows her to do this whilst being a dance teacher allows her to continue something she is passionate about.  Such a lovely, warm natured person and the kindness of these girls eradicated any misconceptions I may have had previously about the manner of Muscovites.  


After meeting Jessie we hopped in a 'Gypsy cab', travelling in true local style.  She gave me some tips about hailing one down to ensure that its a safe set of wheels you're getting into.  Sure enough a car pulled into the side of the road, dusty and rusty as if fresh from a building site.  We arrived at Solyanka and I left my flowers in the cloakroom just incase it didn't go down too well with the 'face control' team waiting at the top of the stairs.  After convincing the lady on the door that we were meeting people inside we were able to enter the realm of Moscow's hipsterville. 

No comments:

Post a Comment