Tuesday 27 December 2011

Upon reflection

2011 has been a truly memorable year for many reasons.  A year which has taught me invaluable lessons about life and growth. 


I left Hong Kong, my life, my purpose, my temporary home and went on an amazing adventure seeing things I never dreamt possible.  Jumped off boats in Halong Bay, trekked in the Thai jungle, met Elephants, ate snake in Beijing, swam in waterfalls, swayed along with the Guru in an Indian temple, ate Pho Bo like there was no tomorrow.  Saw Angkor Wat at sunset and sunrise. Visited children at an orphanage and witnessed joyful personalities just happy to have a home.  Witnessed the extreme evil that man can inflict upon others in Phnom Penh.  Experienced tropical paradise in its purest form.  Felt life at its most precious and most trying.  In this a poignant year of contrasts I have learnt more than I deemed possible. 


Often people wish for more from the year to come, and hope that it will be possible to avoid struggle and hardship.  In achieving this, a false ideal is created.  Life does not owe us any favours, its how we deal with difficulty which develops life's portrait and makes it that much more beautiful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment